Thursday, December 16, 2010

Halfway is just a polite way of saying nearing the end

Halfway on the way away

We are halfway now, a grueling fact that gives me a stomach flinch when I think about it. How will we have enough time for our ever extending plans? Yes, we've seen lots but now I want more, we both do.

The truth is this only still feels like the beginning, we have yet to explore the more indigenous and unruling corners and landscapes of this continent, those without the patios and malls, sparkling skyscrapers and polished sidewalks. I want to see how the other part lives, how they build and what they listen to.

Before I was still a bit unsure about Peru and Bolivia, since more bad than good news had reached my ears. But time has gone by, birds sung a positive song, curiosity rised enough to almost (but not quite) kill the cat and finally my guts have reached a very sizeable state. I am pumped up now and I really want to get to it and experience the alternative. Safety and common sense aplied all times anyway yes blaablaa, moving on. I'm just getting tired of the common and I wan't to get closer to what this place is about.

(In reality I just want to buy a rainforrest worth of unimaginably comfortable and scruffy wollen shirts and ship them home to wait for my uninevitable return to Deepfrostia. I wont even bother going to the post office, since our mule has flights booked to Lima in January.)


My favourite word is awesome

The problem in having an awesome time almost every day is that the return to the so called normal, aka. responsibilities and lack of money, feels like doomsday. Nope, no fancy words there. Just doomsday. Repeat: Doomsday. However the day of doom is not the only problem with uncontrollable awesomenes, the more serious issue is in fact the more is more -effect. You meet people, people are cool, they tell you about cool places, you want to go, you meet more people, people are cool, tell you about more places, more places you want to go. And at the same time your appetite grows, you become sick of being in the safe spots, the resorts and postcard atractions, you want smaller, warmer and more relaxed; higher, wilder and untouched. So you do the inca trail.

Maybe I'm being a bit too pessimistic. So far we have gained so many memories in a time that feels like a lifetime if I really think about it. One legged wavejumping under the stars in the warm blue waters of Pernambucos white sand beaches feels like something I saw in a movie rather than what I was doing a few months ago. Curling up in the warmth of an old rustic fireplace while drinking mate in a small tranquil valley surrounded by snowcapped mountains ain't a bad memory either.


Keepers can also be creepers

And then there are the untold stories, the resents that are already the past but still so fresh in my mind they feel like the present.

Santiago, city that's only shitty in a way that Buenos Aires also is but still, unlike the Argentinian capital, doesn't boast with a misleading name. Not being able to see the surrounding mountains from under the vail of exhaust only drove us to see the insides and breathe the air of Bellavistas numerous bars. And later other hostels too, if you're Niklas.

Santiago also presented me with an experience hat had me longing for vegetarism. No more completos, and never will I ever step in to a KFC.

The air was mais bueno in Valparaiso. Unfortunately the place is slightly larger now than during the good old days when fighting in the company. So running around the steep and insanely steep slopes didn't go too easy, nor could we find a helicopter, what a bummer. Points for the graffiti though.

Well, thats a rough sketch of our comings and goings and returnings and goings again. I could mention our shuffling back and forth between Santiago and a paradise beyond, but that place I'd rather just keep to my self. Lets just say there's life after Natura.


Staying sane

Well, it's almost christmas now. We hope to spend it at Titicaca, but probably don't have enough time to get there. Too many interesting things tend to pop up on the way, delaying our "plans", but it's certainly not a bad thing.

Its nice to approach christmas in a relaxed attitude: no stress about spending money on presents and going crazy looking for something boring, unimaginative and specific. All I wan't for christmas this year is to have a grand time, nothing else.

(It's a shame that having a grand time also sometimes requires money, but as I am a thankfull and just person, I'll let the dude on the hill decide how a grand time I'll be having and be happy with what ever little help I get with that very grand of a time.)






Location:Santiago de Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment